We have set ourselves ambitious targets as part of our packaging strategy and have already made much progress in the area of sustainable packaging.
Our packaging targets for 2025
By the end of 2021, 86 percent of Henkel's packaging was already recyclable or reusable* and the proportion of recycled plastic in its consumer goods packaging was 18 percent globally.
Initiatives and partnerships
Progress towards sustainability in packaging is only possible if companies along the entire value chain work together. Therefore, Henkel is engaged in various partnerships and cross-industry initiatives. A few examples:
- We participate in the New Plastics Economy initiative of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, which brings together stakeholders to rethink the future of plastics and provide ideas to foster a circular economy.
- In the Plastic Waste Coalition of Action, which was formed from the Consumer Goods Forum (CGF) in 2020, Henkel is working with other companies on the basis of Golden Design Rules to develop a more circular approach to the design and processing of plastic packaging in the consumer goods industry.
- In 2017, Henkel became the first global consumer goods company to cooperate with the social enterprise Plastic Bank. The common goal: to stop plastic waste in the oceans and at the same time create new opportunities for people living in poverty. Within the partnership, Henkel supports projects in Egypt, where it has already set up 10 collection centers together with Plastic Bank. The local population has the chance to earn money or services by removing plastic waste from the local environment – before it enters waterways or oceans. The collected and recycled material – Social Plastic® – is used by Henkel in its own product packaging. In 2021, 723 tons of Social Plastic® were processed at Henkel. Since the start of the partnership in 2017, the total has been more than 1,480 metric tons.
Protect and restore biodiversity, with focus on forests, land and water, through more regenerative ingredients and resource stewardship:
- We are committed to sourcing our raw materials sustainably and not through deforestation. Our goal is to prevent the deforestation of primary and secondary forests with significant ecological value.
- By 2025, we want to cover 100 percent of our demand for palm oil and palm kernel oil with oils that are certified or externally confirmed as responsibly sourced.
- In addition, we have set ourselves the goal of reducing water consumption per ton of product by 35 percent by 2025. By the end of 2021, we had saved 28 percent.